Workshop: Jewels, Condors, and Cinnamon: Writing Surprises into Poetry
Writers create new ways of looking at the commonplace, so techniques of creating surprises help draw readers into the exploration of a poem.
- Clarity is a first principle;
- Consistency is the second: continuity of voice, form, logic
- Writing poetry is the opposite of writing clichés
- Writing poetry is a form of travel writing, going beyond the ordinary
- "Poetry is to language what ballet is to walking." Valery
- sentence structure,